Carving pumpkins is fun to do in the fall. In the United States and in other countries, some people carve pumpkins to celebrate Halloween. You can carve a pumpkin!
You Will Need
- One medium/large size pumpkin
- Tools: large spoon, toothpick, small saw
- Small candle
- An adult to help you
1. Cut an opening around the stem of the pumpkin. Make the hole big enough so that you can get your arm and the spoon inside. Save the piece you cut out for a lid.
2. Use the large spoon to scrape the inside clean. The pumpkin walls should be about 1-inch thick.
3. Draw a pattern on the paper. Use the tape to adhere the paper to the front of the pumpkin.
4. Use the toothpick to poke small holes close together, tracing the pattern. This is how you will transfer the pattern onto the pumpkin. Remove the paper when you have poked holes tracing the entire pattern.
5. With an adult, use the small saw to cut your pumpkin from dot to dot. Remember to look at your pattern to see what you want your pumpkin to look like.
6. When you are finished cutting, place the small candle inside the pumpkin. Cut a hole in the top to allow smoke to escape. Have an adult help you light the candle and put the top on the pumpkin. Your design should be glowing back at you!